Wannabe Internet marketing managers, are you up to the challenge? Here’s a sample profile of an Online Marketing Manager. Go ahead and note the requirements and start brushing your skills!
This profile is shared under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0) license. HR professionals, please feel free to copy and post it. You may adapt this work to your hiring needs by using parts from the profile or by changing it. The only requirement to reuse this licensed work is to provide due attribution to this site by linking to this page from the page where you post the job. My two cents that you might also like to consider before you fill in that “pre-requisites” section:
Funny that HRs and companies want MBAs as SEO Managers. Haven’t come across an MBA good at SEO till date. What gives?
— Jagdeep Singh Pannu (@pannu) January 25, 2013
And hey all you great SEO people with MBAs, no need to get offended! It’s just that we’ve never met :-)
Position: Online Marketing Manager or Internet Marketing Manager
Would manage or assist:
- Brand Enhancement
- Search Engine Optimization
- Link Building
- Paid Advertising
- Social Media Marketing
- Email marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- Manage the online marketing team’s activities for optimal resource utilization and output.
- Proactively understand and create Internet marketing strategies and goals.
- Allocate all tasks to the Internet marketing team, follow up, ensure implementation and assume responsibility for quality delivery.
- Employ/Liaise-with external marketing agencies to achieve marketing goals whenever required.
- Write/edit/provide inputs to and coordinate with the design team or external design agencies for all public-facing marketing collateral.
- Assist Evangelists in handling social media accounts [Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Facebook, Google +, etc., to name a few].
- Be an evangelist and represent the brand using appropriate communication across all possible channels across the Internet in line with the vision, branding, values and culture of the company.
- Assist Email Marketing Executives in end-to-end processes of manual email notifications like creating pitches, preparing drafts, filtering lists from the database, sending mail, tracking responses, and managing reports.
- Analyze Google Analytics, Webmaster Tools, Moz Tools, and other reports, and send in suggestions for further strategies.
- Evaluate internal or outsourced copywriters’ web copy and edit for maximum impact. Proactively provide text suggestions for the web properties to optimize for further impact.
- Meticulously keep brand information consistent and updated on third-party websites, social media accounts, or anywhere else online.
- Assist and mentor SEO Executives in on-page optimization with keyword research, titles, descriptions, technical SEO parametric analyses for identifying search engine roadblocks and best practices compliance.
- Assist in paid advertising efforts – review and optimize Google Adwords, Facebook Advertising, Linkedin Ads, Twitter Ads, BuySellAds, and/or other paid campaigns
- Assist Link-building Executives in on-page and off-page linking strategies by doing research and locating linking opportunities, contacting people, adding value to relevant third-party sites, etc.
- Use affiliate channels like ClickBank, Linkshare, ShareASale, Neverblue, Amazon, Commission Junction, etc., to sell products/services and increase marketshare.
- Check brand alerts from external websites via services like Google Alerts and respond appropriately. Identify opportunities from such alerts and proactively take action or escalate for high-level decisions.
- Liaise with third-party websites and partner with them to extend products or brand information. Escalate high-level partnership opportunities to the senior management.
- Check websites on a regular basis for any search engine roadblocks.
- Be flexible to take on additional work and more challenging tasks.
- Excellent written communication skills (ready references to posts that demonstrate outstanding writing abilities is a requirement)
- Good team-handling and organizing skills
- A passion for Internet marketing
- Very proactive
- Working knowledge of basic HTML skills
- Experience in search marketing (paid or organic) is required
- Experience in Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools and Google Adwords is required
- Always staying updated on the latest technical know-how, changes and updates in the Internet marketing world.